Monday, November 16, 2009

LeBron, Kissing Up Or Genuinely Nice Guy?




"In America, we have laws. Laws against killing, laws against stealing. And it is just accepted that as a member of American society, you will live by these laws. In West Canaan, Texas, there is another society which has it's own laws. Football is a way of life." -Varsity Blues

LeBron James may have a heart after all. Recently, James came out to the public about retiring Michael Jordan's number throughout the entire NBA. Jordan, who was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame, has his number 23 retired in Chicago. During his career with the Bulls, Jordan won 6 NBA titles. He retired in 1993 for a brief stint in order to pursue his other career dream playing professional baseball. Jordan briefly switched to No. 45 when he returned to the Chicago Bulls after retiring the first time before going back to No. 23 (2009).

"I just think what Michael Jordan has done for the game has to be recognized some way soon," said James, who has worn 23 since he was a high school sophomore. "There would be no LeBron James, no Kobe Bryant, no Dwyane Wade if there wasn't Michael Jordan first" (2009).

According to ESPN, There are 13 No. 23s in the NBA. Oklahoma City rookie Byron Mullens, who ended up with the number after finding his preferred No. 32 was retired by the organization for Seattle SuperSonics great Fred Brown, is open to a switch.

"I don't have a problem," Mullens said. "I'm a rookie so I don't have no say-so. It's Jordan, man. His number should be retired from the NBA. If it is, then congratulations and good for him. If it's not, then I guess I'll stick to it. I was kidding around with my teammates, though. I told them, 'Jordan's going to have to pay me out' " (2009).

I think this is a great example of the respect around the league for Michael Jordan. The NHL and MLB have done this across their prospective leagues, why not the NBA do it? We have athletes who perform at the high expectations day-in and day-out, why not respect them? Granite, sometimes these athletes are not the best role models, they perform at great levels in their sports. Truth be told, if I am the NBA, I would mind letting the number 23 be the face of the NBA. I mean look how popular his brand has become.

(2009, November 14). Lebron wants all players to surrender 23. Retrieved from http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4650907

3 comments:

  1. Nick, I do not think Lebron James is changing his number 23 out of the kindness of his heart. It is clear Lebron has great respect for Michael and looked up to him as a sports hero of his, but believe me when I tell you Lebron James does things for Lebron James. My earnest opinion would be that Lebron is switching his number(and his team) next year because he wants to create his own legacy. Lebron realized Jordan will forever be known as #23 no matter how many MVPs Lebron wins. It is sad to say since the only thing saving Cleveland is Lebron, but I truly believe he will be in a different uniform next season. So expect a Knicks uniform with the number 6 to be the highest selling piece of NBA merchandise next season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to be cynical and I hate to admit that Sean may be right about this, but I will say that it wouldn't surprise me. Any reason why it would be the No. 6?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I have to agree with Nick. I don't think that Lebron is a horrible guy or anything, but I think that he knows the Michael Jordan will always have number 23, no matter who else wears it, and how much they dominate in the sport. I think the Lebron may even be taking this fact into his own hands, and wants a number that he can make his own, that's why he's choosing #6.. because no one has really claimed it yet..

    ReplyDelete